Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Things on my mind

So my mentor has me really thinking about how to express the idea of women in my work without essentializing. So with my medals I have decided to add names in place of where stars, v's, e's, and s's would normally be. The added metal symbols are for repeat awards and award above and beyond.


A close up to show the texture in the fabric
I also started on my watercolor "postcard" series. I'm not sure if this is the direction I want to go with these as the pink is borderline forced opinion of feminine.
Lastly, I've been dealing with a medical legal hearing and it has really been weighing on me. It is bringing up a lot of old bad memories, and I just needed to paint something for myself. I set-up a photo shoot so I could get some images of myself, and I laid in my under painting this evening. This may be a series I want to pursue alongside everything else, but I don't want to bite off more than I can chew. I have a lot of different directions happening right now. I guess that is ok since next semester will be used to lock it down solid.
This painting is 3'x4'. It looks a little scary right now, but my under painting are generally unrefined and somewhat sloppy. I really just use it to get a nice tone underneath the final painting.


1 comment:

  1. Under painting looks like a hollowed out self... Seems to describe medical legal perfectly.

    ReplyDelete