Saturday, March 16, 2013

Movin' Right Along

Thursday I took myself down to Seattle (with a friend) to attend First Thursday. I learned the Art world is very different than the Art world while you are in school. It made me think about how I will continue to move forward after school. It seems very easy to get lost and consumed by your own thoughts once out of school. I am finding it will be a constant battle after grad school to continue to learn, change, and experience art outside of myself.

This week I had my second meeting with my mentor. A week before I was struggling with my projects. I didn't like the direction a few of them were moving in. It seems a lot of my ideas begin with good intention, but don't develop into anything solid enough to put forth further effort. I've found grad school really makes me think about where I'm spending my studio energy. With all of that said, at this time I've set aside my weaving attempt, my quilt, my postcard series, and my candy dish for now. My remaining ideas are very time consuming, and if I manage to complete them at the level I'm satisfied with I will probably look into developing one of the ideas I set aside.

My new ideas have been largely driven by the influences from my artist research and readings on memory and identity. One book in particular, Making Memory Matter has given me some ideas involving shadow boxes and the use of the shadow in my pieces to represent memory. It is very difficult to grasp such an ephemeral idea as memory. It's very diaphanous and difficult to express in physical forms. This is something I have been struggling with in many of my projects I have set aside.

Susan has been really great. She is really pushing me, and helping me develop my ideas in a more meaningful manner. After our meeting on Thursday I feel very solid in the direction I will be taking for the June residency. I feel really good about this semester even with everything happening in my non-grad school life. It's interesting to watch my art grow and change. I know now grad school was the push I needed to overcome my mental obstacles. This coming week I will be posting pictures with further description of my "good" ideas I will definitely be developing for the June residency.

No comments:

Post a Comment