Thursday, February 28, 2013

Pictures of Progress

I started the week trying to figure out what to do with the original block painting below. As it sits it is just a painting of a military ribbon. So I have been experimenting with ways to add a feminine touch to each block.
Acrylic painting on birch block
Flower camo acrylic sheet (Started but not finished)
Enamel painted with pink sides to the block


Close up of my weave
Besides painting on blocks of wood I am working on my sculptural aspect of my work. I struggled like crazy to make a good mold. I experimented with victory wax, plaster, and silicone. Ultimately, I decided to make one sided molds in silicone because it is the most flexible. The pieces are only going to be viewed on one side anyway. After making that decision I also decided to work with sculpey instead of clay requiring firing. This should help me get through the process faster. Also, sculpey seems to be easier to work with at this time.
This picture is the first set of ribbons and medals crafted from sculpey in silicone molds. So far so good. The forms are much more precise than the clay forms I made last semester. It took me two  months to get to this point, and I hope it just keeps going up from here.

No comments:

Post a Comment