Sunday, October 21, 2012

Labor of Love

This is my first time painting SO SMALL.  It is really a challenge for me, but I'm trying to do the best I can.  I finished the first of what is to be a long series of ribbon paintings.  It took me 12 hours total (not including drying time between coats) which will be hard to believe seeing as the piece is only 12x12 and has detail in only one area...a labor of love indeed.

A close up of what is considered a "finished" product.  After it dries I may go back in and fix.

The full piece with hospital corner folds in the canvas.

 These three are a few of the other paintings I have in progress.  These each have two coats currently.  A burnt umber under painting and a wash of colors.  I currently have 5 in progress, but somehow I missed photographing 2 of them.  I guess I got caught up in the moment.

 As the pieces near completion they will have individual touches that will make each unique. I haven't decided if I am happy with how they are unfolding, but this could be a good thing since the Navy did not unfold the way I thought it would either.  Somewhat a happy accident.
These ribbons were discarded at a thrift store.  They are dirty and torn and are completely unusable for uniforms. I am painting these with the material in the position it was in when I purchased the items because I think it adds to the unique quality.  It shows the rough handling they went through, and how the material has shifted and changed over time.






Above are more enamel insignia or "candies".  This time the enamel worked out a bit better because I mixed some wax into it.  It is less brittle but still has a somewhat yummy hard candy look to it.  I have decided to do a bowl of ceramic candies, a bowl of wax candies, and a bowl of enamel candies.  Each bowl will have a different glaze pattern with the same idea of the red white and blue of our flag patterned on the outside.  The inside of each bowl will be white to signify the innocence, ignorance, safety, comfort, and simplicity. 

I am also working on a momento piece from ceramic medals and ribbons and photographs. I forgot to take pictures so they will be in the next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment