Friday, October 12, 2012

Birthday and Grad Work

So today is my birthday.  As a present to myself I decided to work 40 hours last week in my studio so I could fly home to Michigan to see my family.  It has been over a years since I have been home, and the visit has been a nice break, while at the same time allowing me to see art from an east coast perspective. 

On Wednesday I took a visit to the Detroit Institute of Art.  I am a big fan of this museum because they generally put on an impressive contemporary art display.  Some big hitters I had the pleasure of viewing were Newman, Oldenburg, Yoko Ono, Shakisah Sikander, Judd, Moore, Lewitt, Artswager, Segal, Bouguereau, Gentileschi, Giacometti, Rothko, Picasso, Manet, Monet, Henri...the list goes on and on.  I enjoy museums because you can get right up close and experience the brush strokes and imperfections.  It also affords me the opportunity to see the artists I have been studying side by side. 

Going with my mother, grandmother and aunt also provided me a vehicle to practice the knowledge I've been acquiring through study.  It gave me insight into areas I could use more study, and areas where retention has been fairly consistent.  It also makes me see how people can say there are no more original ideas in art.  There is so much to be influenced and inspired by today that it would be a shame not to use other artists as inspiration.

No comments:

Post a Comment