Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Cigar Boxes and Excitement

Today I completed three of my many pieces in progress.  I am working with the idea of ribbon and medals as "treasures" and "momentos".  A lot of keep sakes are placed on display in homes, and a lot are stored very commonly in cigar boxes.  I think the use of cigar boxes always makes me think of grandparents and past generations.  Of course, the only person I remember ever smoking cigars in my family was my Great Uncle Ange.  He loved cigars so much he was buried with them.  As a little girl I had a cigar box at my grandparents house that stored little toys and childhood keep sakes.  I guess that is something I feel and remember when I see these boxes.  I think this is a common experience for American's, which I think helps make the entire piece relate-able.

From left to right:  National Defense Ribbon, Navy Commendation, Good Conduct and Sea Service

This box works really wonderfully with the National Defense Ribbon.
As the "Autumn Collection" it feels somewhat fake and mass produced to me.


Taking the time to study the works of Haacke and Kippenberger helped a great deal with the creation of these pieces.  I was struggling with the idea of using ready made objects, but I don't think these pieces would work as well without them.  I'm very pleased with the way the ceramic pieces turned out in the end, and hopefully my mentor and advisor will feel the same.  Aside from these pieces I'm still plugging away on my candy bowls and paintings.

1 comment:

  1. Great Grandpa Mangiaracina and Great Uncle Andy also smoked cigars. Leon keeps his collection of arrowheads in a cigar box.

    ReplyDelete