Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Working Out A New Idea

Since meeting with my mentor I have stopped  working with the fish and bird ideas.  I have moved onto an idea she and I equally felt was more conceptual.  I will still attempt to work with the idea of "freedom is an illusion", but it is a very broad concept that may require a great deal more thinking before it will be ready to attempt again.

These pieces are a start to my concept of the "sugar coated Navy perception".  It's more of my own commentary on the military. 

Clay insignia from a mold
In an earlier post I went through the new process (for me) of making the mold for these little buggers.  I have since experimented with enamel, wax and clay.  My mentor and I also discussed the use of glycerin and real candy substance.  Below are a few preliminary sketches and writings.  I am taking this week off due to company visiting for the week.  Next week I will have lots more to post since I will be putting 40 hours into my studio to catch up. 

This idea deals with different kinds of homemade clay bowls as well.  I have taken pottery classes, but my skills on the wheel are very limited.  This entire project will be very taxing on my abilities.

The second idea touches back to my painting roots.  Using the ribbons and medals I have collected from the base thrift shop I will be making a series of small very detailed paintings.  I will discuss further as the idea develops.  I still have to decide the size I want to work in and color choices.



No comments:

Post a Comment