Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Wrapping Up and Experimentation

April 25-May 4th

I spent this week completing all of my half finished projects. It was a week of toil for sure! I finally completed my self-portrait I started a month ago. This was my first time working with the Apelles palette exclusively. I also did a great deal of reading on contemporary art and artists and a lot of sketching and journaling. I began experimenting with creating art without thinking. I made quite a few things thus far from this stand point. They mostly feel empty, but I do feel like they are helping me work out what is really going on inside me. I have been starting with painting but it tends to lead to a desire to add something three dimensional, which then leads to adding some sort of craft element.

I visited the Bellevue Art Museum on Tuesday. There was an exhibit about currency art. The work was very politically charged, but in the end I left the exhibit bored. It felt like all the art being shown was doing the same exact thing. There was also an exhibit on Italian furniture design on the third level that was much more intriguing. It was interesting to see how design in the 60's 70's and 80's was a great deal similiar to the artistic movements happening at the time (granted it was artistic furniture design, but it was all still functional and for sale at the time of creation).

Here are some pictures of the process I went through to completion on my large portrait:







No comments:

Post a Comment