Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Ceramic Ribbons and Such

I found a temporary way around my camera.  My phone!

Here are some images of my progress with my candy dish:


I'm not sure yet if I feel this dish is too deep.  I may remake this all together.  Maybe more squat and open?  I really want the viewer to have to reach in and have it feel somewhat endless.



The images on the right are the ceramic ribbons and medals I have been working on.  I have applied some underglaze for color, but I accidently purchased a bisque underglaze in the rest of the colors so I will have to fire these once before I can finish painting them.  The medals I started with a mold made from gel flex but I found making impressions with the actual medal seemed to work better.  They still need to dry and be cleaned up prior to firing. 

The plan with these items are for pedestal "decoration".  They are going to be basically in a pile under the dish.  Why not use real ribbons and medals?  Two reasons.  One I want them to feel individualized and rough, which is something the hand building brings about.  I also want the actual item to seem somewhat unobtainable.  The ceramic allows me to add a clear coat of glaze so everything will have a glassy, shiny and new look ( I hope). 

After starting the pedestal I am thinking I may have to make a lot more medals and ribbons for my idea to be fully realized.  I'm going to start with these and see what happens.  I don't want the pedestal to be giant but I don't want the bowl to dwarf it either.

Lastly, I am working out a few different painting ideas.  The stretcher bars did not show today as they were supposed to.  I'm starting to get frustrated.  I should have just built them myself.  It would have take the same amount of time!  Anyway, The faces on the bottom are ideas for larger paintings but maybe they are too personal.  The top left is something I'm ready to start painting but I'm waiting for those dang bars!!  I've been doing a great deal of thinking and writing and thinking and writing so I am really itching to get started on these.

No comments:

Post a Comment