Sunday, August 18, 2013

Weaving Complete!

Toiling away in my studio! I finally finished my weaving! I have one flag box prepped for paint as well. I'm still working on sewing everything together, but I am very happy to be at this stage. Weaving is a therapeutic methodical process. It's very repetitive and it gives you lots of time to think. I thought a lot about where the project was going, where the holes were, how I am going to approach the rest of the project, and how I'm going to make plaster molds. I also thought a great deal about color and my use of color. I kept thinking back to the book Chromophobia I read in my first semester. Why can't I use a very minimal color palate, and what are the sacrifices to my meaning by making the color more "interesting". I haven't decided where this will end up...

I did add some interesting colors to my weaving, and attempted pattern. Turns out you can't do a lot with pattern when you only have a basic two part loom. So I got creative. Here's a picture of the progress so far...

The wood box is made of pre-primed pine. I'm going to have to prime it again though since it has a bunch of wood filler and black marks on it. I found last time it was easier to cover the dinks if I primed them first. Otherwise I go through a lot of expensive white spray paint. I put a 24" ruler between everything so you could get a sense of the dimensions. I'm still working on sewing the fabric pieces together. I was trying to finish tonight but it was just too much work for my hands. It seems with making fabric I feel like I am working fast and when I look up at the clock all this time has slipped away. It doesn't help that I had to rip out a bunch of work and restart a few times. 

I feel like I have a huge list of things to do and I don't know if I will have time to get to everything this semester. I guess I can save a lot of it for later. It's always good to have ideas on the back burner. I know I won't be running out of things to do in my studio in the near or far future :)

No comments:

Post a Comment