Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Barry McGee and others at the ICA

My first art exhibit excursion took me to the Barry McGee exhibit at the ICA. I had planned on seeing the Peabody Museum glass flowers but I was just too wiped out. Anyway, here are some photos:


There was a wide range of his work including large installations and small sketches. I found his sculptural objects the most intriguing. They gave me a sense of the artist whereas the giant installations felt really cold to me. I also was completely turned off by the mechanization in some of his installations. I didn't see how they added any value to the overall aesthetic, or why it was relevant. It really made me think of how to make my own work discuss an issue without discussing it too much.

There was a special smaller exhibition as well, the James and Audrey Foster Prize 2013.  I got to experience a second mark cooper, the first at the MFA in the white blue show.


         I'm a student of visual culture and visual language - the more I learn, the less I know, and I find           that intriguing...
                             -- Mark Cooper
I find his work to be very welcoming. I want to study every nook and cranny. It is interesting to me how he represents the messiness of life and humanity through such abstract structures. There is a frantic gesture to each installation that I find energizing and intriguing. Do I want my work to be energized? How do I want my visual language to read? Do I want it to be stale stoic and detached? I feel in some ways, that boring side of my work is important to the overall meaning.

From Mark Cooper I ran into Annette Lemeiux whose piece I would say has that dry sensibility that is so important when discussing issues of institution. Obviously, something I will have to look into further.
On a side note, next week I get to meet with my mentor for the first time. I'm excited to hear what she has to say. I'm sure she will have an entirely different approach than Susan had, and I'm curious to see what she thinks of my new direction and my old.

Shameless plug of my new website again :) http://www.mariajonesartist.com


No comments:

Post a Comment