Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Seattle Art Museum

Last weekend I drug my boyfriend to the Seattle Art Museum to see the exhibit Minimalist Moment. It was small but filled with some interesting art. I got to see a piece by Daniel Buren, which surprised me due to the nature of their small collect. There was also an interesting piece by Robert Morrison and an interesting collection of curatorial pieces by Lucy Lippard.
Another great surprise was a room with three artists dealing with identity politics through African American art. Rashid Johnson, Glenn Ligon, and Carrie Mae Weems. It was like having a slice of pie and realizing you get ice cream with fudge too! If you read my second paper it discusses identity politics through the influence of Adrian Piper. I really enjoyed the piece by Weem's and all of the tricky little symbols and meaning openly displayed as well as under the surface.
Glenn Ligon




 I really just wish the museum was bigger. Going to New York City really did spoil me :(



No comments:

Post a Comment